Guidelines For Operating Drones Safely
- Follow community-based safety guidelines, as developed by organizations such as the Academy of Model Aeronautics, www.modelaircraft.org.
- Fly no higher than 400 feet and remain below any surrounding obstacles when possible.
- Keep the drone in sight at all times.
- Avoid other aircraft and obstacles at all times.
- Contact an airport or control tower before flying within five miles of an airport.
- Do not intentionally fly over unprotected people or moving vehicles, and remain at least 25 feet from people and vulnerable property.
- Do not fly near or over sensitive property such as power stations, water treatment facilities, correctional facilities, heavily traveled roadways, or government facilities.
- Check and follow local laws before flying over private property.
- Do not conduct surveillance or photograph people in areas where there is an expectation of privacy, unless permission is obtained.
- Know Before You Fly: www.knowbeforeyoufly.org
- Online map of no-fly zones across the United States, created by Mapbox: www.mapbox.com/drone/no-fly
- State laws addressing drone issues, compiled by the National Conference of State Legislatures: http://tinyurl.com/qemocyj
- Information and a selection of videos shot by drones, compiled by Smithsonian magazine: http://tinyurl.com/ohrpab4