- Bike repair kit with inner tube
- Small first-aid kit
- Cell phone
- Sunscreen and insect repellent
- Clothing layers that you can add and remove, such as a sweatshirt or windbreaker. You can heat up quickly as you ride, but if it’s cool or windy, you’ll feel it.
- Pedaling.com’s databases are searchable for bikes and equipment, guided tours, events, bike routes, and other bicycling resources. Visit www.pedaling.com.
- Bicycling magazine’s website includes articles about bikes, gear, and other topics, including a beginner’s guide. Visit www.bicycling.com.
- Wear a helmet.
- Learn the rules of cycling.
- Look before you turn, and indicate your intention to others on the road. Learn hand signals.
- Obey local cycling laws, traffic signals, and road signs.
- Watch for doors that may open on parked cars.
- Don’t use headphones or a cell phone while riding.
- If traveling at night (not recommended for beginners), add lights and reflectors.
Bike Trails For RVers
- The Virginia Creeper Trail, which stretches 34 miles in Virginia from Abingdon to Damascus, is an easy biking adventure suitable for novices. www.vacreepertrail.com.
- The Greenbrier River Trail traverses 78 miles through some of the most remote areas of West Virginia. www.greenbrierrailtrailstatepark.com.
- Railroad Grade Road in northwestern North Carolina runs 10 miles between Fleetwood and Todd and is mostly flat. www.ncrailtrails.org/trails/railroad-grade-road.
- The 5-mile Jones Beach Bikeway is the premier bike path on New York’s Long Island. Find it at www.traillink.com.
- Cape Ann Cruise explores Boston’s North Shore. The shorter 22-mile loop circles the rocky shores of Cape Ann. Search for it at www.trails.com.
- American River Bike Trail Ramble in California is a 32-mile path from Old Sacramento to Beal’s Point on Folsom Lake. Find it at www.trails.com.
- Berkeley and the Oakland Hills is a 27-mile loop through the Berkeley, California, area. Search for it on www.trails.com, which rates its skill level as difficult because of hills.
- Busse Woods Bicycle Trail in Illinois’ Cook County is an 11-mile trail that winds through meadows and forests around Busse Lake. www.fpdcc.com.
- Trinity River Trails Ramble in Fort Worth, Texas, offers 28 miles of paved paths, some of which follow the Trinity River. Search for it at www.trails.com.
- Bear Creek-Morrison Half-Century Cruise is a 48-mile ride that begins in the heart of Denver, Colorado, and reaches to the geographically spectacular foothills near Morrison. Find it at www.trails.com.